17 November 2006

The Neddiad, by Daniel Pinkwater

November 17 2006 (00:42:00)

Daniel Pinkwater is publishing his new book, The Neddiad, online, a chapter a week. It's probably considered a children's book, and I suppose it says something unattractive about me, but I've been enjoying it immensely.

The Neddiad is (so far) a story told first-person by a young fellow named Ned, who has a rather remarkable family. The story is set in the late 1940s, just after World War II. As it begins, Ned and his family set out for Los Angeles, travelling by first-class train. During the trip Ned becomes separated from his family in Flagstaff, Arizona, but is rescued by an actor and his son who are driving to Los Angeles by way of the Grand Canyon.

The chapter that I just finished has Ned, the actor, his son, and a ghost (yep), visiting the Grand Canyon. They take an airplane ride into the canyon and have a strange adventure with a passenger on the 'plane.

I don't think you have to be a kid to like this book. I eagerly signed up to get email reminders when new chapters come out.

No comments: